Yesterday’s 18 mile long run was a reminder of why I love the challenge of the marathon. Pushing my body past the point of feeling like I can’t go any farther, reminds me, you never know what your body’s capabilities are, until you challenge it.
Of course, while I love the challenge, I do realize that one has to respect the body as well. If the body is not fueled properly, hasn’t had enough sleep, or enough recovery time, there will be a system failure in one shape or form. This training cycle, I’m trying to ensure that my body is getting these key elements as best I can.
Breakfast is by far, my favorite meal of the day. Morning is my favorite time of the day. If I don’t eat enough for breakfast, I feel like a truck hit me! What I eat, and when does depend on the day, and if I’m running early or not. Yesterday, I had a Vega Sport pre-workout energizer drink before my long run, a Vega Sport performance protein drink immediately after, THEN, my breakfast. Recently, a staple item of my breakfast is an egg-white scramble, wheat toast, and fruit. Yesterday, I treated myself to a Starbucks turkey bacon egg white breakfast sandwich (minus the cheese).
Here’s a list of some of my go to’s for breakfast:
- Whole grain waffle with fresh fruit. If I use syrup, I ONLY use real maple syrup.
- Egg white scramble (either alone or with veggies and a little vegan cheese). Once a week, I’ll do regular scrambled eggs.
- Cereal (5 gm. of fiber or more, 5gm. or less of sugar) with unsweetened soy milk and fresh fruit.
- Whole wheat/sprouted bread (my new favorite is Ezekiel 4:9) with a teaspoon of honey on top.
- Oatmeal with unsweetened soy milk. I add blueberries or apple as well.
- Yogurt with fresh fruit. (I use a dairy-free option), but, Greek yogurt is a great choice for those who eat dairy.
I’ve been using a food diary recently to hold myself more accountable for my nutrition. This has helped A LOT. I definitely can tell the difference when I make the time to eat a nutritious breakfast. There were times in the past where I wouldn’t be hungry, and I would literally just drink a latte, or cup of coffee, and that was my breakfast.
Do you start your day with a nutritious breakfast? What are your go-to breakfast choices?